There are a number of ways you can be featured on Mental Ideas: as a featured artist/ writer/ author/ poet/ comic/ filmmaker/ social entrepreneur, as a Regular Columnist or Resident Artist, or as a participant in a project, festival, exhibition or event organized by Mental Ideas or parent company, Brainstorm.
When submitting artwork or writing for consideration, please include a short biography we can publish along with your work. Please stick to the theme of the edition you are submitting for and send all artwork via Dropbox, films via Withoutabox and writing via email.
WHAT MENTAL IDEAS LOVES
- Provocative Theories based on self-research (always citing original sources).
- Personal Essays told with a strong narrative and unusual voice (800 words).
- Interviews with inspiring public figures or organizations.
- Original Artwork accompanied by an explanation of the background and mood of the piece.
- Original Photography – as above.
- Original Poetry & Spoken Word – film your spoken word (3 mins max).
- Short Stories (fiction) – must be your own work (under 7500 words).
- Alternative Remedies – stuff that worked for you in getting to grips with your mental health… and stuff that didn’t.
- Book & Film Reviews – preferably (though not essentially) choose books, or films with a mental health theme.
- Collaborative Concepts. We love bold, exciting concepts that can include as many Brainstormers as possible. E.g. a group writing project designed to be penned by many authors, or a collaborative art project. E.g. a mural.
- Humor. We love to laugh!
- Short Films. We consider daring, ingenious & entertaining short films with a bold social, political or humanitarian purpose throughout the year. Submissions are also open for our 2020 Brainstorm Film Festival.
- Original Music. Please be sure to let us know if we can upload your work to our site!
WHAT MENTAL IDEAS IS NOT
- A Medical Site (though we occasionally invite psychiatrists and other mental health care practitioners to offer their insights and opinions).
- A Fake News Platform. We get enough of that on the News.
- A Misery Memoir Publisher. No pointless rants about how sh*t your life is, unless your rant is particularly clever and witty.
- A Troll Hangout. Brainstorm will permanently block site users or contributors who use their ‘voice’ to slander and abuse.
- A Literary/ Talent Agency. Brainstorm promotes equality. We have no upper tier system and do not represent artists, writers or filmmakers in projects that do not relate to our own work. (Our competitions & festivals are judged by talent and literary agents.)
- A Forum to connect with other sufferers or psychiatrists. We provide links to charities & non-profits that do offer forums.
- A Support Group. We have links to support groups in Hong Kong and internationally.
- A Huge Multi-National Corporation. We will reply to every submission and enquiry we receive. Please be patient with us if we take a little time to get back to you. (We aim to respond within 6 weeks.)
- A Platform for Spammers. We hate spam as much as you do. Anything received that we suspect contains spammy content will be deleted and unread. (If your name is Sarah Pam, please don’t use your first initial and second name to avoid editorial confusion.)
- A Dating Site. Inappropriate emails/ comments will be deleted. Sorry!
- A Cult. That’ s just silly, right??
Ready to Submit?
Ambassador, Art, Artist of the Month, Brainstorm, Brainstorm Media, Competition, Documentary, Events, Exhibitions, featured, Featured Artist, Featured Author, Featured Filmmaker, Featured Poet, Film, Fitness and Wellbeing, Humor, Mental Ideas, Mental Ideas Ambassador, Mental Ideas Events, Mental Ideas Exhibitions, Mental Ideas Film Festival, Mental Ideas Films, Mental Ideas Fitness, Mental Ideas Gallery, Mental Ideas Library, Mental Ideas Loves, Moodie Foodie, Poetry, Regular Columnists, Regular Features, Resident Artist, Resident Poet, Short Stories, Social Enterprise