Mental Ideas is a platform for innovation and experimentation. Irreverent, witty, unashamedly provocative, noisy and unapologetic in tone, our key objective is to move the conversation forward around trending and topical subjects most relevant to those affected by mental health issues.
We accept narrative-driven reported features, original artwork, op-eds, personal essays, short stories (fiction), podcasts, poetry, filmed spoken word, music, Q&As, book & film reviews, short films and humor around the year. Articles are generally between 800-1000 words, depending on the subject matter and the story format. Fiction should be under 7500 words.
What Mental Ideas Loves
– Provocative Theories based on self-research (always citing original sources).
– Personal Essays told with a strong narrative and unusual voice (800 words).
– Interviews with inspiring public figures or organizations.
– Original Artwork accompanied by an explanation of the background and mood of the piece.
– Original Photography – as above.
– Poetry & Spoken Word – film your spoken word (3 mins max).
– Short Stories (fiction) – must be your own work (under 7500 words).
– Alternative Remedies – stuff that worked for you in getting to grips with your mental health… and stuff that didn’t.
– Book & Film Reviews – preferably (though not essentially) choose books or films with a mental health theme or character affected by mental health issues.
– Collaborative Concepts. We love bold concepts that can include as many of our artists as possible. E.g. a group writing project designed to be penned by many authors, or a collaborative art project. E.g. a mural.
– Humor. We love to laugh!
– Short Films. We consider daring & ingenious short films throughout the year. Submissions are also open for our 2020 Brainstorm Film Festival.
– Music. Please let us know if we can upload your work to our platform!
What Mental Ideas Is Not
– A Medical Site (though we do occasionally invite psychiatrists and other mental healthcare practitioners to offer their insights and opinions).
– A Fake News Platform. We get enough of that on the News.
– A Misery Memoir Publisher. No pointless rants about how sh*t your life is, unless, of course, your rant is particularly clever and witty.
– A Troll Hangout. Mental Ideas will permanently block platform users or contributors who use their ‘voice’ to slander and abuse.
– A Literary/ Talent Agency. Mental Ideas promotes equality. We have no upper tier system and do not represent artists, writers or filmmakers in projects that do not relate to our own work. (Our festivals and competitions are judged by talent and literary agents).
– A Forum to connect with other sufferers or psychiatrists. We provide links to non-profit groups that do offer forums.
– A Support Group. We provide links to partner non-profits that do offer support groups in Hong Kong and overseas.
– A Huge Multi-National Corporation. We will reply to every submission and enquiry we receive. Please be patient with us if we take a little time to get back to you. Our core team is small. (We aim to respond within 6-8 weeks.)
– A Platform for Spammers. We hate spam as much as you do. Anything received that we suspect contains spammy content will be deleted and unread. (If your name is Sarah Pam, please don’t use your first initial and second name to avoid editorial confusion.)
– A Dating Platform. Inappropriate emails/ comments will be deleted. Sorry!